KDD is a premier conference that brings together researchers and practitioners from data mining, knowledge discovery, data analytics, and big data. Students, who might otherwise be unable to participate, have now the opportunity to attend sessions, tutorials, and workshops, meet other students and researchers from industry and academia, and take advantage of everything KDD’23 has to offer!
KDD’23 will offer travel awards to full-time student attendees. The purpose of the travel grants is to encourage students to participate in the exciting technical and other career enhancement programs at KDD as well as to increase the diversity of the participants at the conference.
The maximum amount of support provided to each grantee as the number of awards is subject to the availability of funds by the sponsors. The award is intended to partially cover the grantee’s expenses. Conference registration will be waived for student travel award grantees. The allocation of the grants will be based on need, potential impact of the applicant’s attendance in increasing the diversity of the conference participation, and acceptance of student’s publication at KDD ’23.
All full-time undergraduate and graduate students interested in data mining or machine learning-related research are encouraged to apply. Importantly, SIGKDD encourages the participation of women and underrepresented minorities, as well as the participation of students from under-represented institutions. There is no need to have a paper accepted at the conference to apply.
Students receiving the travel awards are required to:
- participate in the conference,
- assist the conference organizers in numerous activities during the event days,
- submit the original invoices up to the amount of the travel award for reimbursement after the conference. (Instructions will be sent later.)
For any questions or doubts, please contact us by emailing KDD23-Travel-Chairs@acm.org.
Submission deadline: 11:59PM PT, June 11th, 2023.
How to apply
All applicants need to submit their applications to the CMT system with the following files:
- CV (which includes the applicant’s current status, including institution, type of study [undergraduate, MS, or PhD], number of years in the current program, etc.)
- a brief one-page statement that includes:
- the applicant’s research interest and their future research plans,what excites them about their research area,a description of how the grant will help them with their research plans,any information or restrictions that the applicant feels relevant for their application,
- the total budget for attending KDD’23, and how the travel award can help close the gap in attending the conference.
- a reference letter from the applicant’s advisor supporting the application, that:
- confirms that the applicant is a student in good standing,mentions the relationship with the student,describes how the applicant will benefit from attending KDD, and
- explains the student’s need for the travel award and whether there is funding available to cover the expenses that are not covered by the student travel award.
- a photo/scan of the student’s ID.
Only PDF documents are accepted. Late submissions, or documents in other formats will not be accepted. Submissions that do not follow the above guidelines will not be considered.